So the RB turbos are out and went with the ON3 61mm single turbo kit. I ordered just the hot side parts and bought all the other accessories separate. This would entail the boost control solenoid, Motiv Boost Box Controller, and etc misc items. I did a lot of bargain hunting, and forum watching to keep my price low since I needed to cover other maintenance items and such. Below is a list of parts that I bought to help in the install. One thing to note is my coolant tank was already relocated from my inlet install. So I didn’t have to worry about relocating it. I choose to use the on3 provided wastegate to really see if it could hold up. I took it apart and used 2000 grit sandpaper to lightly sand the wastegate stem to make sure it was smooth. (03/2020 – update: The wastegate has proformed flawlessly without issue.)
ON3 Single Turbo Parts List
- On3 N54 Single Turbo Kit – Purchase
- Deleted – Intercooler, BOV, Charge pipe
- Added – On 3Performance 61mm GT35 Journal Bearing Turbocharger
- Add a turbo blanket to your order if your going to install the provided turbo, if you plan on installing another turbo just buy a turbo blanket that fits that particular turbo. In either case its best to run a turbo blanket (Top Mounts get hot!!).
- Tune: MHD via Motive Boost Box – Purchase
- You can also use a Burger Motorsports JB4 Tuner or a manual boost controller with MHD flash
- MAC Boost Control Solenoid – Purchase
- Coolant Pipe Gasket – Purchase
- There is a pipe that you will have to plug the coolant holes with the provided billet plugs provided with the kit. It attaches to the engine block and a gasket is used to seal it. While its apart best to change it and not reuse your old one.
- Exhaust Manifold Gasket (6) – Purchase
- This is well needed to make sure your manifold has a good seal, so dont skim on these.
- Exhaust Manifold Nut (16) – Purchase
- You can reuse your exhaust nuts, but i would pickup at least 4, since when removing your old exhaust manifold nut they might become stuck on the stud.
Wastegate / Vacuume line plumbing – All this is optional in the way you want to route and install your wastegate / vacumme lines. You can use regular lines or use SS AN lines, which would be a good choice to future proof yourself from leaks.
- MAC Boost Control Solenoid Fittings (2) – Purchase
- Turbo Tap Kit – Purchase
- Vacuum Line – Purchase
- Wastegate Boost Line Splitter- Purchase
- Turbo Boost Reference Fitting (1) – Purchase
– This is imperative with a top mount setup. You can heat wrap or thermal treat you manifold and downpipe. But in all cases just have sort of heat managment in place. Turbo Blanket, Exhaust and downpipe wrap or thermal treatment.